After me, nothing. . .

Many among us tend to pride themselves on their love for humanity and for the community, their compassion, their philanthropy. They simply adore the race, working (generally via a ceaseless application of their vocal chords and little else of substance) tirelessly for the greater good, for justice and equality for all.

Every now and again, though, one is presented with the uglier face of this apparently selfless personality. All too often that grimacing visage belongs to your average Lefty. And all too often, it is the real face. I recently copped a dose of Lefty ‘humanity’ (and not for the first time). The relatively innocuous subject of child discounts came up (as the little ones were in clear evidence; often a highly provocative act when a Leftist intellect is holding court). 'That,' our childless Lefty protagonist responded, 'is us workers subsidising you people with children!'

'You people' indeed. . .

Who are 'we people'? We're the ones giving up our lives to raise our next generation. Yes, it's a decision we made. No, we didn't consult the broader community when we made it. Was it made selflessly for all that? Actually, yes, it was. We decided to give the greatest gift there is to give. We decided to gift a life. And we did it knowing our lives would never be the same again.

So what of our Lefty friend, so full of derision, so full of annoyance at being asked to contribute in some small way to this, our shared future; to their eventual doctors, nurses, artists, scientists, workers; to the vehicle for our culture and its future?

I received no reply when I posed this, just a slightly bemused look. How annoying I was to have responded at all. . .

The attitude I encountered is summed fairly easily, and features as the title for this post. It is, quite simply, about the most breathtakingly selfish attitude there could possibly be. Unfortunately, it is also quite typical. I have encountered it many times before. It speaks to a reality: 'I really don't care about the future or anyone else, no matter how much I claim I do’.

After me, nothing. . .

These people loudly proclaim their undying love for humanity. . .humans be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments containing Chinese characters will not be published as I do not understand them